Bolt & Chain Rules
Entries are open to men and women who have a valid driverʼs license. In the interest of
safety and in fairness to all contestants, the following rules and regulations will prevail:
ENTRY AND FEES:
1. All drivers and pit crews must be 18 years of age or have a notarized permit by a parent or guardian. ID must be shown by both the minor and signing adult at check
in. Notary paper work must be done prior to entry! There will be no notary available at the derby.
2. All drivers and pit crew must sign a release form prior to derby.
3. Drivers must furnish his/her own car.
4. A maximum of six (6) sponsors per car.
5. Drivers may enter each heat but must have a different car for each heat.
6. Each car will pay an entry fee. The entry fee will include two pit passes, one driver &
one car. The fee is as follows $40 the day of the derby.
7. Additional pit passes will be available for $20 ea.
8. Anyone entering the pit area must provide a valid state ID.
9. **NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 16 WILL BE ADMIDTED TO THE PIT AREA AT ANYTIME BETWEEN 11AM TO THE END OF THE DERBY!
Anyone under the age of 18 must have notarized paper work with them at the time of check in along with the signing adult & both presenting a valid ID.
The derby will consist of heats and consolation qualifying heats. The last two (2) active cars and drivers in each heat will comprise the feature cars and drivers. No changing of
drivers or cars for the feature will be allowed.
If the driver qualifies in more than one car they must pick the one car they will drive in the feature.
Any car PARTICIPATING in a previous heat is eligible for the consolation heat. The last two (2) active cars and drivers in the consolation
heat are eligible for the feature race.
THIS PROGRAM IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY THE OFFICIAL WITHOUT NOTICE
1. Drivers may maneuver forward and/or backward.
2. If the driver does not hit another car aggressively within 1 minute, that driver will be disqualified.
3. DO NOT play possum & NO TEAM DRIVING!
4. Drivers must attend a drivers meeting approximately one half hour prior to the start of the derby.
5. All protests must be submitted by a driver in writing to the official with a minimum of five (5) driverʼs signatures along with $50. If the car is found to have cheated the $50
will be returned. If the car is found to be legal, the $50 will be given to the driver in question.
6. No pit persons allowed in show arena during a heat.
7. Cars must be inspected and in perspective heat line up between 12 noon and 530 PM. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE. The Derby will start at 630 PM.
8. If any car is found to be illegal during inspection they get two chances to fix it correctly, the THIRD time the car has to be inspected it will cost $50 for it to be looked
9. No drivers or pit crew members under the influence of liquor or any illegal substance will be allowed to participate or enter the exhibition area. County and Sate Law prohibit
the consumption or possession of any alcoholic beverage or cereal malt beverages on property owned by city, state or governmental subdivision.
10. Only one (1) work vehicle per car entry in pit area. NO TRAILERS INSIDE PITS DURING CHECK IN. Please drop trailers outside of pit area away from spectator parking.
11. Cars are subject to re-inspection before prize money or trophies are handed out.
THE TOP FIVE (5) CARS WILL NOT LEAVE THE ARENA AFTER THE FINAL. THESE CARS WILL BE INSPECTED AGAIN BY OFFICIAL AND DRIVER ONLY, BEFORE ANY PRIZE MONEY IS AWARDED.
12. If you have any questions give us a call. If the rules donʼt say it, donʼt do it. Officialʼs decisions are final!
13. Roof Sign maximum 24” x 24” is mandatory.
PREPARATION OF CARS:
No screws are allowed on outside of car. NO PLASTIC GAS TANKS. (Heavy duty plastic racing fuel cells are allowed.) No wedging, no sedagons, no jeeps, no trucks (ranchero and El
Caminos are considered trucks), no carryalls, no hearse, no limos, no convertibles, no imperials 73 and older or imperial subs. No sub changes. All glass, chrome, pot metal, lights, carpet, headliner, back seats, fiber glass and anything else that is flammable must be removed before reaching the exhibit area. (Do not break glass down in the doors.) Trunks must be empty of all debris, spare tire rims, parts, etc. Wagons must have spare tire flap removed or hole cut in it for inspectors to see.
ABSOLUTELY NO welding besides what is stated in these rules. All 9 wire must be tied to the car so not to fall off in the arena. UNLIMITED 9 WIRE. This does not apply where rules specify how much wire you can use, i.e. doors and bumpers or where used for reinforcement.
Car must have number on the roof with name on roof above front doors. Use your choice of number. You must have a roof sign with minimum of 12 inch numbers on both sides of sign. No profanity allowed on cars. Safety straps from roof to firewall are mandatory. They can be 1” x 1⁄4” thick. At least one (1) no more than three (3) straps from roof to firewall. Right side must left open. Vertical bars only no horizontal bars.
Engine swaps ok. You may change carburetor, intake, and ignition. You may use 2 chains to retain one on each side or use two straps, 2 in. by 3/16 thick to hold motor in. It can ONLY be welded to TOP of frame no more than 3 inch long weld. The strap cannot be farther forward than the stock mounted water pump. You may use header pipes. Must have stock motor mount bolted or welded to cross member, If stock mount not used it will be up to the inspection to ok best to use stock mount. . This is a stock show. No dpʼs. you may run a lower cradle that has to be mounted similar to how the original motor was mounted from the factory. which means it can only be bolted to car frame and has to have rubber mounts between the car and lower cradle. The cradle will only be 1/4″ thick or less. no pulley protectors.
It must be an automotive radiator, remain stock, and in the stock location. No home made radiators allowed.
Transmission coolers are allowed. They must have double clamps on all rubber to steel lines. No transmission protectors allowed. They must be stock. They may have chain to secure. Cross member must be bolted in. If you donʼt have a cross member you must use a piece of 2x4x1/4 C-Chanel and it must be bolted in with a max 4- 3/8 bolts with 1 inch od washers.
The battery must be in the front passenger side and be covered with something nonflammable like rubber tube, rubber floor mat, etc. Batteries must be secured so they donʼt move. 2-12 volt batteries max.
Suspension must remain stock. No welding on shocks, no trailer hitches, special lifts, blocks, air shackles, air shocks. Air lifts must be deflated. Screw in spring spacers ok. Shocks ok if after market. No homemade shocks.
Rear ends must be 5 lug. Locking of the rear ends permitted. Stock mounting for make, year and model of car required. No braces or axle protectors. You may use a 3/8 chain around frame and to axle 1 wrap only. You may 9 wire or chain lower coil spring to spring pocket. After market gears in rear end are allowed.
TRAILING ARMS & A-ARMS
They must be factory with absolutely no reinforcing, shortening or lengthening. You may
9 wire A-arms or bolt down with 5/8 max bolt with 1 1⁄2 od washers. Or you may use 1 3/8 chain 1 wrap around a-arm to frame per side.
The steering column must be stock. You may put steering knuckle at rag joint.